Sago Palm poisoning in pets
Sago palms are naturally found as outdoor ornamental plants in warm climates. While all parts of the plant are toxic to pets, including the roots, the seeds are the most toxic. The sago palm contains a toxic chemical called cycasin, which causes liver damage. Ingestion results in acute gastrointestinal signs within 15 minutes to several hours after ingestion. Central nervous system signs and severe liver failure can be seen within 2-3 days post-ingestion. After the patient develops symptoms of liver involvement, the survival rate is only about 50%.
If your dog or cat ingests any part of a sago palm, drooling, vomiting, black-tarry stool, lethargy, Inappetence, increased thirst and urination, bruising and bleeding, and yellow coloration of the gums and skin are all possible symptoms. Some dogs may exhibit neurological symptoms like seizures or paralysis, circling, or depression. If you think that your pet has eaten ANY part of a Sago Palm, no matter what quantity, you need to seek emergency veterinary treatment immediately.